The depopulated village of Abil al-Qamh / District of Safed
Subdistrict: Safad
Estimated population in 1948: approximately 380
Date of occupation and depopulation: 10 May 1948
Settlements established on the village's lands before 1948: None
Settlement established on the village's lands after 1948: Yuval, partly established on village land
Abil al-Qamh was located approximately 32 kilometres northeast of Safad.
Abil al-Qamh was a Palestinian village in the Safad Subdistrict. On the eve of the Nakba, its population was estimated at approximately 380. The village was depopulated in 1948, and most of its built environment was subsequently destroyed.
- The village stood in a hilly area north of the Hula Plain, approximately one kilometre from the Lebanese border. It remained administratively part of Lebanon until the boundary settlement of 1923, when it was incorporated into British Mandatory Palestine.
- Abil al-Qamh was situated near a stream and surrounded by cultivated land. A church stood within the village.
- Its population included both Muslims and Christians. Agriculture formed the foundation of the local economy, and the fertile wheat fields surrounding the village benefited from abundant water resources.
Boundaries of Abil al-Qamh
The village lands were bordered by the following villages, towns, and territories:
- Metulla village and its associated khirba to the north.
- Lebanese territory to the northeast and northwest.
- Al-Sanbariyya to the east.
- Al-Zuq al-Fawqani to the south.
- Lebanese territory to the west.
Architecture and Built Environment
The village had a broadly triangular layout, with its narrow end pointing south. Its built-up area expanded southward along the hill on which it stood. In the late nineteenth century, Abil al-Qamh contained approximately 45 dwellings. By 1931, the number had risen to 58. These houses were constructed from stone and cement, stone and mud, or reinforced concrete. In 1945, the village's built-up area covered 13 dunams, while the number of houses was recorded as 97 by 1948.
Population of Abil al-Qamh
- According to the 1931 Census of Palestine, Abil al-Qamh had 229 inhabitants: 122 Muslims and 107 Christians living in 58 houses.
- Official 1945 village statistics recorded a population of 330—230 Muslims, predominantly Shi'a, and 100 Arab Christians—and a total land area of 4,615 dunams.
Economic Life in Abil al-Qamh
The village had no formal public services. Its economy depended primarily on agriculture and livestock raising, with cereal cultivation forming the principal agricultural activity. Fruit-tree cultivation was limited: during the 1942–1943 season, only six dunams were planted with olive trees. In 1944–1945, 2,537 dunams of Palestinian-owned land were allocated to cereal production.
Land Ownership in Abil al-Qamh
| Ownership category | Area (dunams)* |
|---|---|
| Palestinian ownership | 3,116 |
| Jewish ownership | 1,327 |
| Public land | 172 |
| Total | 4,615 |
Land Use in Abil al-Qamh
| Land-use category | Palestinian-owned land (dunams)* | Jewish-owned land (dunams)* |
|---|---|---|
| Irrigated land and orchards | 299 | 3 |
| Olive groves | 6 | 0 |
| Cereal cultivation | 2,537 | 1,320 |
| Built-up area | 13 | 0 |
| Total cultivable land | 2,836 | 1,323 |
| Uncultivated land | 439 | 4 |
* One dunam equals approximately 1,000 square metres.
Population Figures for Abil al-Qamh
| Year | Population* |
|---|---|
| 1596 | 143 |
| 1931 | 229 |
| 1945 | 330 |
| 1948 | 383 |
| Estimated number of refugees in 1998 | 2,351 |
Houses in Abil al-Qamh
| Year | Number of houses |
|---|---|
| 1931 | 58 |
| 1948 | 97 |
Archaeological Heritage
Abil al-Qamh occupied an archaeologically significant site associated with Tell Abil el-Qameh, also known as Tel Abel Beth Maacah. Archaeological remains recorded in and around the area include a settlement mound, rock-cut tombs, flint tools, pottery, wall foundations, scattered building stones, and stone cairns between Abil al-Qamh and Tell al-Qadi.
Two additional archaeological localities lay near the village. Khirbat Niha, southwest of Abil al-Qamh, contained wall foundations, scattered stones, and pottery fragments. The name Niha is of Syriac origin and is generally associated with the meanings “calm,” “rest,” or “repose”; several places in Lebanon and Syria bear the same name. Tell al-Qita'at al-Sitt, south of the village, contained the remains of enclosures.
The Occupation and Depopulation of Abil al-Qamh
Operation Yiftach was launched by Palmach forces between mid-April and late May 1948 with the objective of securing eastern Galilee before the end of the British Mandate. Abil al-Qamh was occupied and depopulated on 10 May 1948 as the operation advanced through the Safad region. The wider campaign resulted in the depopulation of Palestinian communities across eastern Galilee, and many villages were subsequently destroyed.
Israeli Settlement on the Lands of Abil al-Qamh
The Israeli settlement of Yuval was established in 1952 on land belonging to Abil al-Qamh, approximately 1.5 kilometres from the former village site.
Abil al-Qamh Today
Grass and wild vegetation now cover much of the village site. A grove of trees stands in its northeastern corner, while stones from the destroyed houses remain scattered across the area. The surrounding land is used primarily as pasture for livestock.
Photos from the village's people
Photos sent in by visitors and published after review.
Add a photo of this village
Log in to add photos of this village.
Other villages from Safed
Download Our Palestine App
The whole archive in the palm of your hand: depopulated villages, the Nakba, the massacres and Al-Aqsa — free, with no ads to erase the story.
Comments
No comments yet — be the first to write one.
Add your comment
Name and email are optional. Comments appear after review.
